Naturetrek polar holidays
The poles are special. Bathed in a surfeit of light and pale blue skies during summer, then plunged into constant darkness during the winter, the seasonal contrasts in scenery, light and wildlife at the poles compared with the rest of the planet are stark. Still visited by only the lucky few, the Arctic and Antarctic have for centuries held an irresistible magnetism for explorers.
Our polar regions specialist recommends...
“The Arctic and Antarctic are like nowhere else on the planet – and once you’ve been, you will be hooked (I was!). Spitsbergen is the ultimate Arctic destination and, in my opinion, the best place to look for Polar Bears! Our 11-day Spitsbergen Wildlife Cruise offers a spectacular supporting cast of Walrus, dramatic scenery and huge seabird colonies. If you’re looking for a short break, or a taste of the Arctic, try one of our Bear-watching or owl-focused holidays in Finland or Sweden.”
Naturetreks polar expeditions?
For the wildlife enthusiast, and the adventurous-spirited, the polar regions have a bewitching appeal and well-deserved reputation as one of the world’s top wildlife destinations. Naturetrek polar expeditions are special in that we usually charter the whole ship (30 to 80 berth) and operate our polar holidays as dedicated wildlife cruises, focusing solely on the region’s wildlife and visiting the very best wildlife sites. All our polar holidays are also accompanied by expert naturalist guides.
Here are some of the reasons why Naturetreks polar holidays are so successful:
- Our cruises focus solely on the Arctic and Antarctics spectacular wildlife
- We only charter small ships ranging in size from 30 - 80 berths
- All operate at the best time of year for wildlife
- Flexible itineraries to ensure the best wildlife sightings
- We use a team of hand-picked & experienced expedition staff
- Led by naturalist guides with expert knowledge of the polar regions
- We offer a wide range of tours both above and below the arctic circle
- Cruises include daily zodiac excursions, accompanied by naturalist guides
- Daily briefings & recaps held
Wildlife seen on a Naturetrek polar holiday
- Look for Polar Bears, Walrus, Arctic Fox & seals in Spitsbergen
- Musk Oxen in upland Norway
- See the Northern Lights, spectacular fjords & snowy mountains
- Glaciers, icebergs, pack-ice, taiga forests and Arctic tundra
- Experience 24-hour daylight
- Humpback, Fin & Sperm Whales
- Little Auks, Grey Phalaropes, Ivory Gull & Long-tailed Skua in Spitsbergen
- Steller’s & King Eiders plus Gyr Falcon in Arctic Norway
- Penguins, albatrosses & huge seabird colonies in the Sub-Antarctic Islands
- Bears, wolves & owls in sub-arctic Finland, Sweden & Norway
- Colourful tundra flora
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR Polar HOLIDAYS
Good mix of activities and lectures that broadened my knowledge. The combination of Naturetrek and the boat guides worked very well. The boat experts were excellent and I was blown away to be on the same boat as Ian Stirling - THE expert on Polar Bears!
Anyone, especially on a first trip to the polar regions, should be prepared to have their mind blown away with the experience! The stunning scenery, the light, the superb wildlife living at the edge of existence, all fabulous. I especially enjoyed the hours of interaction between the four bears on a seal kill, how they managed to 'share' rather than squabble, one crossing over a mile of pack ice and open leads to join the feast - absolutely fabulous. As a birder, the Phalaropes spinning in the water, the Ivory Gulls taking every opportunity to join in the 'Bear Feast' and the buzz of visiting the two big Auk colonies will live long in my memory.
For me, the fact that the catering staff made no fuss about providing gluten-free food and in fact knew within 25 hours my name and requirements was such a bonus. All the Naturetrek leaders were approachable and helpful, Ed in particular. He didn't mind a complete novice 'birder' asking very basic questions and always ensured we all saw what was being pointed out. Well done Ed. All the Ortelius guides were also helpful and very knowledgeable. I enjoyed the whole polar experience, but particularly the flowers, glaciers and Polar Bears.