Wildlife holidays in Spain
Tell me about Spain …
Spain is the second largest country in Western Europe and Spanish is the world’s second most spoken language.
Mention the idea of a Spanish holiday and images of vast hotel conurbations, over-crowded beaches, phoney flamenco dancers and fake bullfights come to mind. Somehow, our impression of the country finds it hard to escape these holiday brochure clichés, yet most of this large country remains unknown to foreigners.
Spain has some truly spectacular scenery, from high plateaux and mountain ranges to huge rivers and wetland regions such as the Coto Donana. Its climate varies from continental to arid Mediterranean.
Spain’s warm, friendly people, delicious food, diverse landscapes, pleasant climate and superb wildlife make it an excellent choice for a natural history holiday.
Our Spain specialist recommends...
"Our ‘Extremadura in Winter’ tour is a 7-day exploration of the bird-rich steppes of Extremadure where we can see large winter flocks of Great and Little Bustards. Our pioneering ‘Realm of the Iberian Lynx’ tour gives you the opportunity to see the world’s rarest cat. There is a good chance of seeing other mammals as well as there being a plethora of birdlife."Andy Tucker
Whats special about the wildlife?
Spain is home to some of Western Europes most exciting mammals, such as Wolf, Brown Bear and Lynx. It has a rich variety of bird species, many of which are absent from the UK, including raptors, sandgrouse, lark species, Wallcreeper and many more.
Naturetrek tours to Spain
Naturetrek offers a whole range of wildlife holidays and natural history tours in Spain. Our choice includes:
- Bird watching in Extremadura, Coto Donana & the Spanish Pyrenees
- Birds, flowers & butterflies in the Picos de Europa & Catalonia
- Wolf watching & wild flower holidays
- Iberian Lynx tours in Andalucia
- Bird migration at Gibraltar plus whale & dolphin watching from Tarifa & in the Bay of Biscay
- Holidays combining interests such as tasting local wines & birding, or learning Spanish & wildlife viewing
- You will enjoy the best of Spains birds, plants, mammals and butterflies in the company of our expert naturalist guides
- The characterful & friendly family-run hotels that we choose for our holidays in Spain offer both comfort & fine local cuisine
- The quality of the Naturetrek picnic lunch in Spain is legendary
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR Spain HOLIDAYS
Congratulations to Matt and Jenny for providing a good atmosphere in the group by their unfailing courtesy and hard work.
I really enjoyed this short break. There were some species that I was targeting and I saw all the important ones. The trip was excellently led. The two leaders were quietly efficient and worked hard to see that all our needs were met. It was my first Naturetrek experience and I look forward to hopefully many more.
Guides' attention to detail and personal attention was excellent. Their knowledge and expertise made the trip a great success ... Many thanks.