Wildlife Trekking Holidays
Naturetrek started by and still specialises in organising bird watching and wild flower treks to remote and mountainous regions of the world. Though our programme of holidays now includes many tours which involve little or no strenuous walking, Naturetrek still offers an excellent choice of trekking wildlife holidays, from the Himalaya to the Inca trail.
Our trekking specialist recommends...
“Well, I’m a little biased as I am particularly fond of the Himalaya. However, if you want to find some spectacular mountain scenery and wildlife nearer to home, try ‘Spain’s Cantabrian Mountains – Realm of the Bear’ for mammals and birds, the Dolomites or Alpujarra for butterflies and Switzerland for alpine flowers!”
Naturetrek Managing Director
Naturetrek wildlife trekking holidays
What kind of trekking tours does Naturetrek offer?
1. Strenuous treks as the main feature of the tour – lasting up to 15 days – in some of world’s most spectacular and sparsely populated mountain ranges, including the Himalaya & Nepal’s Langtang Valley where we go in search of breeding birds, alpine flowers, mammals and other wildlife. Here are a few more choices:
- We offer two treks in Ladakh – one exploring wildlife & culture of the Markha Valley in midsummer, & another searching for Snow Leopards in midwinter
- Mount Everest & the Gokyo Lakes of Nepal to enjoy the world’s highest peaks & their unique natural history
- A holiday to Bhutan’s Bumthang Valley in search of spring flowers, particularly rhododendrons
2. Tours which include short treks or strenuous walking as part of wider holiday. These include holidays such as plant hunting in China’s Sichuan & Yunnan provinces and searching for orchids and other flora in Ecuador’s Andes, plus many European tours which are based in mountain regions such as the Alps, Pyrenees, Picos or Carpathians.
3. Tours which include optional treks to go in search of spectacular wildlife and scenery in a region, such as Mountain Gorillas in Rwanda & Uganda, trekking the Inca trail in Peru, or an ascent of Table Mountain in South Africa.
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR Trekking HOLIDAYS
The diverse and unexpected scenery, the wildlife, particularly the birds, and the elegant and resillient people were all exceptional. I would recommend the holiday to anyone who is happy to get off the beaten track and rough it a bit in exchange for experiencing something unique, although the time to go is now. Both Roy and Abbi were exceptionally good spotters and extremely knowledgeable about the birds and animals we were seeing. Full marks to them; the sheer numbers of birds and mammals we saw is a testament to their skill and effort. Roy also led the group well, responding well to events and keeping us informed about what was planned.
It was a marvellous trip.
The local guide, Yilma Abebe, was superb, being helpful, courteous and exceedingly knowledgeable not only on ornithology, mammals, habitat, agriculture etc., but also on Ethiopian history.