Wildlife Trekking Holidays
Naturetrek started by and still specialises in organising bird watching and wild flower treks to remote and mountainous regions of the world. Though our programme of holidays now includes many tours which involve little or no strenuous walking, Naturetrek still offers an excellent choice of trekking wildlife holidays, from the Himalaya to the Inca trail.
Our trekking specialist recommends...
“Well, I’m a little biased as I am particularly fond of the Himalaya. However, if you want to find some spectacular mountain scenery and wildlife nearer to home, try ‘Spain’s Cantabrian Mountains – Realm of the Bear’ for mammals and birds, the Dolomites or Alpujarra for butterflies and Switzerland for alpine flowers!”
Naturetrek Managing Director
Naturetrek wildlife trekking holidays
What kind of trekking tours does Naturetrek offer?
1. Strenuous treks as the main feature of the tour – lasting up to 15 days – in some of world’s most spectacular and sparsely populated mountain ranges, including the Himalaya & Nepal’s Langtang Valley where we go in search of breeding birds, alpine flowers, mammals and other wildlife. Here are a few more choices:
- We offer two treks in Ladakh – one exploring wildlife & culture of the Markha Valley in midsummer, & another searching for Snow Leopards in midwinter
- Mount Everest & the Gokyo Lakes of Nepal to enjoy the world’s highest peaks & their unique natural history
- A holiday to Bhutan’s Bumthang Valley in search of spring flowers, particularly rhododendrons
2. Tours which include short treks or strenuous walking as part of wider holiday. These include holidays such as plant hunting in China’s Sichuan & Yunnan provinces and searching for orchids and other flora in Ecuador’s Andes, plus many European tours which are based in mountain regions such as the Alps, Pyrenees, Picos or Carpathians.
3. Tours which include optional treks to go in search of spectacular wildlife and scenery in a region, such as Mountain Gorillas in Rwanda & Uganda, trekking the Inca trail in Peru, or an ascent of Table Mountain in South Africa.
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR Trekking HOLIDAYS
This trip gave us a real opportunity to experience the culture of North West Yunnan. The very excellent Hotel in Zhongdian provided very welcome periodic comfort and opportunity for a good wash and sleep ... John’s enthusiasm for new experiences captured us all in our search for plants, and his spirit of adventure enabled us to cope with any difficulties ... Tsebu anticipated our every need for comfort in terms of food, water and wet-wipes, and introduced us to aspects of local culture.
I thoroughly enjoyed this trip... once again thank you for a wonderful holiday.
David is a superb leader. He had a range of personalities and issues to deal with in the group together with exceptional and challenging weather conditions. David provided calm confident leadership and works through the circumstances; all of this and a detailed grasp of the natural history. Mohammed was a real asset, particularly in helping us understand the cultural aspects of the tour. He is a good birder and helped those with birding enthusiasms see what they may have heard. Mohammed Ben Ali, our cook, was outstanding. this could have been marketed as a culinary tour with walking and wildlife. The food was simple, wholesome and very tasty. Despite the terrain in which it was cooked and eaten the presentation was up to, and beyond, the standards of fine restaurants. The Riad in Marrakech is a really good choice. In the heart of the city yet peaceful. The staff and service were excellent. We didn't really get to know our muleteers well. However, when we needed their help and expertise it was there in abundance. A really good team.