Wildlife holidays in Europe
Many of our holidays in Europe focus on the outstanding wildlife habitats that we have left in the region, from alpine meadows to Norwegian fjords. Other Naturetrek tours go in search of particular species such as Sperm Whales and Polar Bears, or wildlife spectacles such as roosting Common Cranes and impressive bird migrations.
Our Europe specialist recommends...
"If you love mammals try our short tours to see Bears in Finland and Sweden, or go in search of Wolf or Iberian Lynx in Spain. You can’t beat the Swiss Alps for alpine plants, I’d recommend the Pyrenees if you like walking, and for stunning scenery and flowers the Dolomites are outstanding."
Naturetrek General Manager
What can I see?
Many of our Europe wildlife holidays focus on the continent’s outstanding wildlife habitats. Here’s a selection:
- Spectacular mountain ranges including the Pyrenees, Alps, Picos de Europa & Carpathians
- Lowland regions such as the Spanish steppe & Great Hungarian Plain
- Wetlands – Coto Doñana, the Danube Delta & Biebrza Marshes
- Arctic wilderness – Spitsbergen & Iceland
- Forests such as Poland’s Bialowieza
Others focus on particular flora and fauna:
- Searching for some of Europe’s last great mammals – Brown Bears, Bison & Wolves
- Butterfly tours to France, Greece, Hungary, Sweden & Italy
- Arctic birds & mammals – Arctic Fox, Steller’s Eiders & summer flowers
- Whales & dolphins in the Azores, Madeira, Lofoten Islands & Spain
How about walking?
The regions we visit provide fine walking opportunities, though we move at a pace slow enough to enjoy the natural world!
We’re good people to talk to about food! We make sure you enjoy the continent’s best wildlife experiences on a full stomach – the Naturetrek picnic lunch is legendary!
What about the UK?
We’re rapidly expanding our UK tour programme from evening seabird and dolphin cruises in Dorset to week-long tours on the Isle of Mull.
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR Europe HOLIDAYS
Well done, Naturetrek for organising a tremendous trip! Gerald Broddelez is probably the best birder I have encountered, in terms of his ability to recognise bird calls from just a few snatched notes, and then find the birds and get them in the ‘scope so speedily that everyone gets a good view. Furthermore, he imparts his tremendous knowledge of birds with clarity and accuracy. He is also extremely courteous, helpful and well organised - a true professional in every way.
The local guides were excellent, knowledgeable, informative about local culture, and worked hard to show everyone the local bird specialities.
Both guides - Ed and Charles - were excellent and, as well as having excellent knowledge of the area and its wildlife, had a real passion for the area and the birds. Their hard work in ensuring the success of the trip is much appreciated.