Wildlife holidays in Belize & Tikal
Tell me about Belize…
Situated in Central America, Belize (formerly British Honduras) is bordered by Mexico to the north and its eastern coast is on the Caribbean Sea. It has a very low population density and English is the official language.
Centuries of underdevelopment have today given Belize its greatest resource: its magnificent and well preserved natural history, and the country is now one of the world’s leading ecotourism destinations.
It offers swathes of untouched rainforest, endless savannah and mangrove coasts, and the most splendid coral reef in the western hemisphere – second only in size and grandeur to Australia’s Great Barrier Reef.
In addition to its superb natural history, Belize has over 900 ancient Mayan ruins, including the magnificent ruined Mayan city of Tikal just over the Guatemalan border.
Our Belize specialits recommends...
"Why not try our ‘Belize’ wildlife holiday where we enjoy the region’s diverse mammals and birds, as well as the impressive Mayan ruins, or perhaps our ‘Belize & Tikal’ tour on which we explore the undisturbed forests, magnificent ruins and coral reefs in the realm of the Maya."
What’s special about its wildlife?
Belize offers excellent, fairly easy, Neotropical bird watching including hummingbirds, trogons and manakins, plus an array of interesting mammal species.
Naturetrek tours to Belize
Naturetrek offers two natural history tours to Belize: a 15-day bird watching holiday visiting undisturbed forests, magnificent Mayan ruins, pristine coral reefs and desert, and a bargain mammal tour in the heart of the Mayan mountains.
The main sites of interest are all located within a pleasantly manageable geographical area and served by comfortable accommodation.
What might I see on a Naturetrek Belize tour?
- A wonderful variety of wetland birds including specialties such as Sungrebe, Jabiru & Mangrove Vireo
- A site where over 300 species of birds have been recorded within an 8-mile radius & hummingbirds, tityras, becards & flycatchers can be watched from a comfortable viewing deck
- Puffbirds, honeycreepers & Guatemalan Howler Monkeys, plus Mayan ruins at Tikal
- Night-time lagoon spotlight search for Hickatees, Fish-eating Bats & large river turtles
- A marine reserve to look for Nurse Sharks & groupers
- Rest & relaxation in the Caribbean breeze
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR Belize HOLIDAYS
We must say that Peter Dunn’s expertise and knowledge was immense and his overall contribution to the holiday certainly enhanced our enjoyment.
Andy Smith and Ivar were excellent and worked well as a team.
The food throughout the trip was superb, but the food and organisation at Pook's Hill was outstanding!