Wildlife holidays in South America
South America is a beguiling place. With climatic, altitudinal and geographical
extremes as wide as any and more bird species than any other continent, names
such as ‘Amazon’ and ‘Galápagos’ have an endless fascination. To witness the
staggering variety of life there is a goal that must be satisfied for anyone
interested in natural history.
Our South America specialist recommends...
"Our outstanding 2-week cruise of the Galápagos aboard a splendid schooner is, in my opinion, second to none! In Peru I’d recommend our ‘Macaws & Machu Picchu’ tour which visits the world’s largest clay-lick and includes an optional trek to Machu Picchu. If you’re on a budget try our popular ‘Ecuador – Cock-of-the-rock’ tour or ‘Colombia – Multicoloured Tanager’ holiday."
Naturetrek Tour Manager
Naturetrek tours to South America
From the great tropical rainforests of the north to the dramatic landscapes of Patagonia, Naturetrek’s South America holidays go in search of the continent’s dazzling array of birds, mammals and other wildlife. Here are just some of the Naturetrek wildlife tours in South America that you can choose from:
- Ecuador – The Andes & Amazon – a birdwatching tour of the western cloudforests, high páramo and the Amazon lowlands
- Ecuador & the Galápagos Islands – a 2-week cruise of the Galápagos Islands
- Argentine Patagonia – explores southern Patagonia, the Peninsula Valdés, Glaciares National Park and Tierra del Fuego
- Peru – Macaws & Machu Picchu – visit the famous Inca ruins and enjoy an isolated clay-lick on the Upper Tambopata River
- Brazil – Just Jaguars! – our dedicated Jaguar-watching holiday taking you to the heart of the Brazilian Pantanal and into the heart of the ‘Jaguar Zone’!
- South America’s Big Cats – focuses on searching for Pumas in Chile and Jaguars in the Pantanal
- The Falkland Islands – comprehensive exploration of these remote South Atlantic islands and a chance to see as many penguins as you could wish for!
- Guyana – A Timeless Paradise – this unspoiled country is home to Giant Anteaters, Giant River Otters and Guianan Cock-of-the-rock and boasts some breathtaking scenery including waterfalls, pristine forests and savannahs
Birdwatching holidays in South America …
If your passion is birdwatching, then you can’t beat South America! We offer a superb variety of dedicated birdwatching holidays to the continent. Here’s a selection:
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR South America HOLIDAYS
I think the success of this tour was down to Jose being such a brilliant leader in every area. He knew so much about all of the wildlife and culture of Brazil. Nothing was too much trouble, he did his best to make sure that we saw as much as possible and the wildlife performed very well.
Mario is a superb guide - fully knowledgeable but a real people person - look after him! Seeing one jaguar was special but to see two was incredible, we were blessed. It was just us in the middle of nowhere drifting up the river when they appeared, swimming in front of us - an unsurpassable wildlife experience. Thanks to Naturetrek, Mario and our lucky stars!
Paulo Ribeiro was an excellent, charming guide with very good 'people skills' as well as being excellent at spotting birds and wildlife. He wouldn't rest until we all had good views of the giant anteater! Whilst the accommodation at Pouso Allegre was basic, it was perfectly adequate and Louis, the owner, was helpful and brought in frogs and snakes for us to see, and reported seeing tapir on his land so we went out and saw them for ourselves. The Flotel was a much higher standard than we expected. The boat used for jaguar spotting was ideal for the size of group. All in all, we had a great holiday with around 17 sightings of jaguar which was way and above what we expected. We would not hesitate to recommend this trip to friends with similar interests and expectations.