Wildlife Holidays in Ethiopia
Ethiopia combines some of the world’s most spectacular scenery and a long and fascinating history, with outstanding wildlife.
Many people believe Ethiopia to be the earliest home to man. Historians have proclaimed it to be the legendary kingdom of Prester John, and suggest a dynasty originating in the country from Queen Sheba, concluding with the Emperor Haile Selassie in 1974.
It is a land of mixed race and mixed religion, of countless tribes and even more languages. It is filled with donkeys, cattle, and an elegant people ... plus the finest of Africa’s mountain scenery.
Ethiopia has been a melting pot since Christ for ideas from the East, West and Africa.
Our Ethiopia Specialist recommends
"If you want to experience an exciting wildlife destination in Africa but something a little different from the typical African Safari, then Ethiopia is a fantastic destination! Our ‘The Best of Ethiopia’ tour focuses on the vaired and spectacular landscapes of Ethiopia, as well as the country’s varied wildlife. Superb for both mammal and bird lovers, Ethiopia is the ideal ‘all round’ destination."
Kerrie Porteous, Operations Manager
What’s special about its wildlife?
- Its wildlife, particularly its avifauna, is outstanding.
- Over 830 birds have been recorded of which 29 are endemics
- 80 species of larger mammals survive of which seven are endemic
Naturetrek tours to Ethiopia
Naturetrek offers a range of wildlife tours in Ethiopia focusing on the country’s varied and spectacular landscapes, its rich history, plus its abundant bird life and mammals. We also offer a choice of bargain mammal & bargain bird tours for those on a budget.
Some highlights include:
- Trekking in the Simien Mountains
- Following the Great Rift Valley south to the lush forested hills of Wondo Guenet
What wildlife might I see?
- We hope to see nearly half of Ethiopia’s 29 endemic bird species
- The endemic Mountain Nyala, Menelik’s Bushbuck & Giant Molerat
- Fish Eagles & waterbirds of Lake Awassa & Lake Abiata
- A visit to the beautiful Bale Mountains in search of Ethiopian Wolves
- The country’s rich flora including Giant Lobelias
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR Ethiopia HOLIDAYS
I very much enjoyed our trip to Ethiopia - wonderful mammals and birds, and friendly and hospitable people.
Roy Taylor and the local guide were excellent and made sure we all saw everything wherever possible. The bus driver was also very friendly, helpful and drove safely. He kept a very clean, organised bus.
It was our first time on this type of holiday and we really enjoyed the experiences, that it was off the tourist trail, and we were able to see how the local people love and see the natural wildlife and environment.