Wildlife Holidays in Ethiopia
Ethiopia combines some of the world’s most spectacular scenery and a long and fascinating history, with outstanding wildlife.
Many people believe Ethiopia to be the earliest home to man. Historians have proclaimed it to be the legendary kingdom of Prester John, and suggest a dynasty originating in the country from Queen Sheba, concluding with the Emperor Haile Selassie in 1974.
It is a land of mixed race and mixed religion, of countless tribes and even more languages. It is filled with donkeys, cattle, and an elegant people ... plus the finest of Africa’s mountain scenery.
Ethiopia has been a melting pot since Christ for ideas from the East, West and Africa.
Our Ethiopia Specialist recommends
"If you want to experience an exciting wildlife destination in Africa but something a little different from the typical African Safari, then Ethiopia is a fantastic destination! Our ‘The Best of Ethiopia’ tour focuses on the vaired and spectacular landscapes of Ethiopia, as well as the country’s varied wildlife. Superb for both mammal and bird lovers, Ethiopia is the ideal ‘all round’ destination."
What’s special about its wildlife?
- Its wildlife, particularly its avifauna, is outstanding.
- Over 830 birds have been recorded of which 29 are endemics
- 80 species of larger mammals survive of which seven are endemic
Naturetrek tours to Ethiopia
Naturetrek offers a range of wildlife tours in Ethiopia focusing on the country’s varied and spectacular landscapes, its rich history, plus its abundant bird life and mammals. We also offer a choice of bargain mammal & bargain bird tours for those on a budget.
Some highlights include:
- Trekking in the Simien Mountains
- Following the Great Rift Valley south to the lush forested hills of Wondo Guenet
What wildlife might I see?
- We hope to see nearly half of Ethiopia’s 29 endemic bird species
- The endemic Mountain Nyala, Menelik’s Bushbuck & Giant Molerat
- Fish Eagles & waterbirds of Lake Awassa & Lake Abiata
- A visit to the beautiful Bale Mountains in search of Ethiopian Wolves
- The country’s rich flora including Giant Lobelias
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR Ethiopia HOLIDAYS
Merids bird knowledge was good.
The entire tour was well thought out and to give us the best of a large country but minimise travelling, without Lalibela we would have missed out on the cultural side. The local guide was exceptional and the group particularly like minded and congenial.
Our local guide, Melkamu Alemu, was outstanding and he made everything go well. His knowledge of his country and wildlife was excellent but he also saw to all the admin and minor issues efficiently and with a smile. Very personable and engaging. We were left just to enjoy the itinerary and all the tour had to offer. The list of things I enjoyed particularly is a long one - many special moments and places. Not necessarily the rare species but the beauty of the wildlife in many habitats, the walks in the mountains especially.