Wildlife Holidays in Ethiopia
Ethiopia combines some of the world’s most spectacular scenery and a long and fascinating history, with outstanding wildlife.
Many people believe Ethiopia to be the earliest home to man. Historians have proclaimed it to be the legendary kingdom of Prester John, and suggest a dynasty originating in the country from Queen Sheba, concluding with the Emperor Haile Selassie in 1974.
It is a land of mixed race and mixed religion, of countless tribes and even more languages. It is filled with donkeys, cattle, and an elegant people ... plus the finest of Africa’s mountain scenery.
Ethiopia has been a melting pot since Christ for ideas from the East, West and Africa.
Our Ethiopia Specialist recommends
"If you want to experience an exciting wildlife destination in Africa but something a little different from the typical African Safari, then Ethiopia is a fantastic destination! Our ‘The Best of Ethiopia’ tour focuses on the vaired and spectacular landscapes of Ethiopia, as well as the country’s varied wildlife. Superb for both mammal and bird lovers, Ethiopia is the ideal ‘all round’ destination."
Kerrie Porteous, Operations Manager
What’s special about its wildlife?
- Its wildlife, particularly its avifauna, is outstanding.
- Over 830 birds have been recorded of which 29 are endemics
- 80 species of larger mammals survive of which seven are endemic
Naturetrek tours to Ethiopia
Naturetrek offers a range of wildlife tours in Ethiopia focusing on the country’s varied and spectacular landscapes, its rich history, plus its abundant bird life and mammals. We also offer a choice of bargain mammal & bargain bird tours for those on a budget.
Some highlights include:
- Trekking in the Simien Mountains
- Following the Great Rift Valley south to the lush forested hills of Wondo Guenet
What wildlife might I see?
- We hope to see nearly half of Ethiopia’s 29 endemic bird species
- The endemic Mountain Nyala, Menelik’s Bushbuck & Giant Molerat
- Fish Eagles & waterbirds of Lake Awassa & Lake Abiata
- A visit to the beautiful Bale Mountains in search of Ethiopian Wolves
- The country’s rich flora including Giant Lobelias
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR Ethiopia HOLIDAYS
Of the 29 endemics found in the area we visited we saw 28, so this was very impressive and we saw all of the 11 near endemics we were likely to see. Saw many great birds and mammals and made some good friends in the process.
Dan was an excellent leader and we greatly appreciated his constant helpfulness and organisational abilities as well as his passionate interest in the wildlife. The hotels were well chosen especially the Bishangari Lodge which was a wonderful experience.
The sheer diversity of wildlife and scenery and the insights I got into a very different culture and spending time with the Gelada's was a memorable experience.
Abiy and Marcus made an excellent team.