Naturetrek polar holidays
The poles are special. Bathed in endless light and pale blue skies during summer, plunged into constant darkness during the winter, the contrasts in scenery, light and wildlife at the poles compared with the rest of the planet are stark. Still visited by only the lucky few, the Arctic and Antarctic have for centuries held an irresistible magnetism for explorers.
Our polar regions specialist recommends...
The Arctic and Antarctic are like nowhere else on the planet – and once you’ve been, you will be hooked (I was!). Spitsbergen is the ultimate Arctic destination and, in my opinion, the best place to look for Polar Bears! Our 11-day Spitsbergen - Realm of the Polar Bear tour has never failed to find this iconic arctic wanderer, and offers a spectacular supporting cast of Walrus, dramatic scenery and huge seabird colonies. You can then follow Spitsbergen with a cruise around Greenland’s Disko Bay, one of the few remaining haunts of the rare Bowhead Whale and edged by some of the largest glaciers in the world. If you’re looking for a short break, or a taste of the Arctic, try one of our Bear-watching or owl-focused holidays in Finland or Sweden.
Naturetrek Tour Manager
Why choose Naturetreks polar expeditions?
For the wildlife enthusiast, and the adventurous-spirited, the polar regions have a bewitching appeal and well-deserved reputation as one of the worlds top wildlife destinations. Naturetrek polar expeditions are special in that we usually charter the whole ship (30 - 80 berth) and operate our polar holidays as dedicated wildlife cruises, focusing solely on the regions wildlife and visiting the very best wildlife sites. All our polar holidays are also accompanied by the expert naturalist guides.
Here are some of the reasons why Naturetreks polar holidays are so successful:
- Our cruises focus solely on the Arctic and Antarctics spectacular wildlife
- We only charter small ships ranging in size from 30 - 80 berths
- All operate at the best time of year for wildlife
- Flexible itineraries to ensure the best wildlife sightings
- We use a team of hand-picked & experienced expedition staff
- Led by naturalist guides with expert knowledge of the polar regions
- We offer a wide range of tours both above and below the arctic circle
- Cruises include daily zodiac excursions, accompanied by naturalist guides
- Daily briefings & recaps held
What might I see on a Naturetrek polar holiday?
- Look for Polar Bears, Walrus, Arctic Fox & seals in Spitsbergen
- Musk Oxen in upland Norway
- See the Northern Lights, spectacular fjords & snowy mountains
- Glaciers, icebergs, pack-ice, taiga forests and Arctic tundra
- Experience 24-hour daylight
- Bowhead, Humpback, Beluga, Fin & Sperm Whales
- Little Auks, Grey Phalaropes, Ivory Gull & Long-tailed Skua in Spitsbergen
- Steller’s & King Eiders, Gyr Falcon in Arctic Norway
- Penguins, albatrosses & huge seabird colonies in the Sub-Antarctic Islands
- Bears, wolves & owls in sub-arctic Finland, Sweden & Norway
- Colourful tundra flora
- Experience native Inuit & Sami cultures
View all of our Polar Expeditions or call us now on +44 1962 733051 to find out more.
WHAT YOU'VE BEEN SAYING ABOUT OUR Polar HOLIDAYS
I think it all worked very well. Particularly enjoyed seeing the Polar Bears and Walrus.
I enjoyed seeing the Polar Bears and other wild animals and birds in their own environment. The fantastic colours and formations of the ice, is wonderful scenery. The 24 hours of daylight is an experience, not to miss a minute of it. This was my second visit to Spitsbergen, I look forward to visiting this magical, spectacular place again.
The standard of accommodation and service on the MV Ortelius was outstanding, the devotion to searching out wildlife was excellent and the crew, staff and wildlife guides did everything possible to make our trip a success. The sightings were particularly good. One of the unexpected highlights was having the Polar Bear authority Ian Stirling on board. A memorable trip in every way.